In today’s closely constrained market posting jobs does not guarantee applicants. Companies hunting for best and most qualified talents have lot more to do than simply advertising their job opening and waiting for resumes flooding in. Your prospect talents are skimming through hundreds of listing for the specific skill set you need. For this reason, writing a job description which is more engaging is very crucial.
Job description, often overlooked plays a very important role in attracting the talent it seems to fit within your organization and hence deserves a special attention. In other words, it helps build a talent pipeline that accommodates the demand and goals of an organization.
A common cause of failure in writing job description is the failure of articulating the specific characteristics and requirements of the job that would make it noticeable to the right talents.
Now that, employers in the USA indicates a higher shortage of qualified talents, organizations must put great insight into effectively communicating their needs, while making it sound interesting and exciting to the kind of talent that they really want to attract.
So, what makes up a highly-effective job description? Let’s take a look
Make your job title Specific: Research on current trends to compare the popularity of job titles and phrases within job posting. By the same token be precise with key phrases that describe the role. In other words, use targeted job titles over generic ones which are more effective. Not to mention, avoid Jargon that may confuse the job seeker. Another key point based on observation is to keep the job description less than 80 characters which are more likely to be clicked.
Here’s one of my favourite job title format :
Your job description is an introduction to your company brand.
Hook your reader by precisely including details about company culture and expectation for the position which would grab the attention of the candidate as to why he would love to work for you. Furthermore, it’s important to realize that providing an exact job location would help you to optimize your job posting. As a result, your job post would appear higher on job search results.
Here’s how you can appear higher on job search result:
Jobrino is seeking Entry Level, degree holders looking to start their career in accounting or finance positions! This is a great opportunity for someone to gain experience in a mentoring environment. We are looking for a dedicated individuals that is passionate about their work.Sample Responsibilities:
- Data Entry of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable into Intacct Software system
- Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries
- Pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying federal ID numbers, scheduling and preparing checks; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; insuring credit is received for outstanding memos; issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies
- Assist in 1099 maintenance and processing
- Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions
- Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions
- Assist in month end closing
Responsibilities and Duties
Make sure you outline the core responsibilities in detail but concise. Also, outline the unique duties that you may have in the organization. Explicitly explain the day to day activities of the position.
It is important for a candidate to understand the work environment that the candidate will be exposed to on a daily basis.
A well-described job description will help the candidate determine if the position and company are a right fit, this will attract only the best candidates for your position. However, the result will provide the best outcome when you specify how the position fits into the organization, how the candidate will function and reports to within the organization. To put in another way this will help the candidate see the bigger picture and know the nature of how the role impacts the business.
Check this tips of how to list down responsibilities for your jobs:
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Must be able to follow standard filing procedures
- Detailed oriented, professional attitude and reliable
- Proficient in Excel and 10-key by touch
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem solving skills, basic accounting principles knowledge, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Ability to perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fractions, addition, subtractions, multiplication and division quickly and accurately
Qualification and Skills
Include a list of hard and soft skills. Although this may be tempting for you to list out every requirement you envision for your ideal hire, rather keep your list concise. By all means it very important to mention specify education, previous job experience, technical skills and certification required for the role in your job description. In addition, you may also include soft skills, such as problem solving and communication that you envision for a successful hire.
Finally this is how you list down Qualification and Skills :
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in accounting, finance, or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of recent fee-based property management accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of financial terms and principles including knowledge of current accounting methods (cash and basic accruals). Ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Working knowledge of the budget reporting requirements of each Owner and participate/assist in the preparation of the annual budget with members of property management.
- Working knowledge of the escalation and operating expense budgeting and settlement process, including the calculation of “gross-ups”, and participate/assist in the preparation of the actual settlement schedules.
- Applicable experience in real estate accounting software packages, preferably with MRI and/or Yardi.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe.
- Demonstrate strong analytical capabilities with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, changing priorities and demanding, time-sensitive, work load(s).
- Ability to receive general work supervision/be self-managed/work independently.
- Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to keep information and internal communications confidential.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills.
However, including too many qualification and skills could dissuade potential candidates.
Benefits and Perks
Make your position an opportunity for a candidate by creatively adding perks. To start off provide a sponsored health care, but the most potential candidates can be swayed by other perks like travel benefits, in-office service and subsidized fitness memberships that makes their lives more manageable. Recent research shows that search from job seekers for “flexible hours” have increased almost 60% since 2014. If the productivity of an employee is important than to be in the office during traditional business hours, then this kind of perk could attract top talents.
Now It’s Time to Write Your First Job Description
Did you discover some new job description tips that you hadn’t seen before?
If so, then make sure to post your first job at Jobrino